Topic: iTunes Home Sharing (How to copy playlists)

Hi,

I have been using Home Sharing successfully to in effect create back-up libraries on my 2 iMacs and 1 MacBook (!).  However, I have not found a way to copy my playlists from one machine to another.  This rather nullifies the benefit of Home Sharing in my opinion.  Has anybody managed to copy their play lists from one machine to another?

Grateful for any thoughts.

Alex

Re: iTunes Home Sharing (How to copy playlists)

I don't use iTunes, but with "homesharing" does it actually copy the files over to your respective machines, or does, as the "sharing" implies, merely share what's already there?

Another thing, can you please not type the thread title in all caps? It's easier to read that way.

Also, welcome to the forum. smile

Sod it!

First apols for capitals, it does look a bit 'shouty'!  A hangover from work email habits!

Home Sharing allows you to copy some/all of your iTunes material from one machine to another on your network.  Fabulous for getting music on to your laptop for travelling but hindered by the lack of play lists.  That said, a careful search in iTunes can get you the album/work you want relatively easily.

Alex

One trick horse wrote:

I don't use iTunes, but with "homesharing" does it actually copy the files over to your respective machines, or does, as the "sharing" implies, merely share what's already there?

Another thing, can you please not type the thread title in all caps? It's easier to read that way.

Also, welcome to the forum. smile

Oh, like that. I tend to use drag'n'drop for things like that. It's good to know, though.

No worries on the capitals. smile

Sod it!

Itunes doesn't let you copy files from one to another, its gets into copyright issues. You can copy them as 'files' in OS but you'd need  to create a home network so you could view each HDD from each computer.

I'm PC and I've based the above on the assumption that OSX can do the same as Vista

JRiverMC17/Gizmo - Resonessence Labs INVICTA - ATC SCM25A Pro's

Welcome to HDD.

Alex,

If you expand the Home Sharing menu by clicking the little triangle next to the computer name on the left side of iTunes, you'll see all of the playlists available on the shared computer.

Simply click into the desired playlist, select all of those tracks, and copy over.

Horse,

Home Sharing actually allows files to be copied, and I'll amend the thread title.

Thanks smile

Sod it!

spacey wrote:

Itunes doesn't let you copy files from one to anot

Yes it does, since version 9.

It's called "Home Sharing": http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3819

More info: http://www.techradar.com/news/digital-h … s-9-658689

Interesting..... didn't know itunes doesn't use DRM anymore!

spacey wrote:

Interesting..... didn't know itunes doesn't use DRM anymore!

About 80% of the iTunes Store is DRM-free now.

http://www.macworld.com/article/138000/ … m_faq.html

Steve Jobs doesn't like DRM but has to comply with the record companies.

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughtsonmusic/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/06/this … nd-to-drm/

Is ALAC now an open format then?

spacey wrote:

Is ALAC now an open format then?

Nope, same thing as it's always been - it's short for Apple Lossless Audio Codec, just like it's sister, Windows Media Audio Lossless.
My winamp installation plays it though, so not any more proprietary than that. I prefer FLAC - Free Lossless Audio Codec - because it has much wider support than the other two. Even my SD recorder is capable of reading and recording to flac.

Sod it!

Although utterly irrelevant to the thread topic, I think I need to mention that I'm not an evangelist of FLAC. I do prefer lossless formats, because if you have your stuff in lossless, you can always convert from one to another without any loss. This way it doesn't matter if you originally used WMA lossless, went across Linux and used FLAC to settle on OS X and ALAC.

That's the really cool thing about the lossless formats - You're set no matter the format you choose. And in comparison to uncompressed (wav, aif, and so on), they all hold quite a bit more metadata.

Sod it!

Again, we agree..... smile i use dbpoweramp to convert any lossless format to another.

One trick horse wrote:

I think I need to mention that I'm not an evangelist of FLAC. I do prefer lossless formats, because if you have your stuff in lossless, you can always convert from one to another without any loss.

Exactly.

There is hope for all of the FLAC users out there. Thanks to dbpoweramp, FLAC can be converted to ALAC when a good user interface is required wink

smile Now I'm agreeing with Darren ... !!!

LOL, something is very amiss with the universe today! I'm hoping for a real, proper day tomorrow.

Sod it!

i was gonig to stir things up but i use ALAC and itunes  derrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Apple TV with bigger hd, Panasonic blu-ray, Samsung tv, denon av amp, Adam audio speakers