Topic: Filo E7 Headphone Amp

£69 USB DAC and headphone amp that also gets a digital output from an iPhone or iPad.

Very nicely made, presented and packed, sounds appreciably better than the little combined DAC and Class D amps in computers and PMPs, probably about as good as you get and just about loud enough for 250 Ohm Beyer DT 880s. If you're a serious headphone listener then one of these is well worth owning and far better than Graham Slee type devices in the opinion of the Grindrod.

Manufacturer: www.avihifi.com / Contact: Email AVI / Blog: AVI HiFI

Re: Filo E7 Headphone Amp

capital T Ash smile

Ash

I can't see where it gets a digital output from anywhere?

Robin

Lounge: Squeezebox Classic/iPad2(via ATV) > ADM40 -  Study/Gym: Squeezebox Touch > ADM9RSS - Library: PC > Benchmark DAC1 > Sennheiser HD580  -  Bedroom: Squeezebox Boom

Via the USB socket of a computer or the Apple socket on an iPad, iPhone.

It drives two pairs of headphones FWIW.

I forgot it was a USB DAC!

I'm still slightly puzzled about digital-out from iPad/iPhone - I can only see a line out connector from the iPhone dock.

Robin

Lounge: Squeezebox Classic/iPad2(via ATV) > ADM40 -  Study/Gym: Squeezebox Touch > ADM9RSS - Library: PC > Benchmark DAC1 > Sennheiser HD580  -  Bedroom: Squeezebox Boom

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31yb6kEEXcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Here it is, but now I've read it again, it looks as though I'm mistaken and it's still a line out device. Sod it, I hate using a computer.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/516SGbrgSlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I am using dragonfly amazing piece of technology in such a small pack, very convenient for travelling and using with laptops. SQ is also first class smile

Hi-Fi : AVI ADM 9.1, Squeezebox Touch..
Hi-Fi on the Move: LH Labs Geek Out 1K, Shure SE535, Sennheiser Momentum & HiFi-Man HE-400

Half a solution.....

The camera connection kit can be used to extract a USB output from the iPad, this should drive the USB input on the E7.

Sadly the cc kit is not supported by either iPhone or iPod.

Digitaldave wrote:

Half a solution.....

The camera connection kit can be used to extract a USB output from the iPad, this should drive the USB input on the E7.

Sadly the cc kit is not supported by either iPhone or iPod.

Thanks Dave, I'll try that because the little Filo is good.

There are very few dacs or h'phone amps that access the digital data from ithings, licensing issues I believe.

The Nuforce iDo is a new device that is reasonably priced. Small enough to be carried but it is mains powered so not portable.

Fairly flexible unit, RCA outs with volume control that can be controlled with an Apple remote, nice wired alternative to an AEX.

http://www.nuforce.com/index.php?option … /index.php

I'm not really a headphone user, but I do need them to evaluate speakers and isolate funny noises, so it will be more convenient if I can get digital out of the iPad. You're right Apple do require a licence fee to use their digital out.

What do you need the digital output from the iThing for, isn't the line-out any good?

Rob.

Legacy hifi -> AVI N5s, SB Touch -> ADM40s smile

WinterRacer wrote:

What do you need the digital output from the iThing for, isn't the line-out any good?

I think they use a DAC and Class D amp combined to save battery life, they don't sound as good as an AB like the Filo, which is a bit better.

I'm trying to hear funnies in speakers and just finding more in headphones! yikes

Ashley James wrote:

I'm not really a headphone user, but I do need them to evaluate speakers and isolate funny noises, so it will be more convenient if I can get digital out of the iPad. You're right Apple do require a licence fee to use their digital out.

In that application the iDo should work well on the desktop, wiring the iThing to the iDo removes any possibility of wifi issues complicating the evaluations.

Also the Apple remote control volume adjusts the iDo volume in the analog domain, the playback can easily be set up for 'bit perfect', again removing another variable when carrying out critical evaluations.

For 'normal' use, iDo can be used with low cost active speakers (such as the Yamaha HS50 reviewed elsewhere) to provide a fully functional wired playback system with (to my mind) excellent facilities. Set up to run 'bit perfect' the volume control has a highly visible level indicator, automatic mute of speakers when using h'phones and of course the speaker output can be reduced to zero without having to fiddle around the back to switch them off.

There is a regular line input too, a spdf digital output so pretty flexible and all for about £200.

What is Ido, I've never heard of it and a search produces nothing.

http://www.nuforce.com/index.php?option … temid=188/

About £160.

Last edited by shenzi (2013-02-15 11:21:05)

Okay, so I'm being thick as usual.

I've bought a camera kit for iPad and if it doesn't work I'll use the laptop. The Filo sounds good and the Beyers pretty good, so I'm not going to chase rainbows. I do that with speakers.

Correction......

There is no line input, I misread.

Just the one USB input then, still pretty useful for those who want a wired option.

Big advantage is the ability to run bit perfect with an analog and highly visible remote volume.

Not sure if you have the option to return the E7 but the more expensive E17 is supposed to be a big improvement.

According to my Amazon page, customers who bought the Filo E17 also bought a tub of Evo-stik flooring adhesive. I don't know if that has any bearing on the improvements.

shenzi wrote:

According to my Amazon page, customers who bought the Filo E17 also bought a tub of Evo-stik flooring adhesive. I don't know if that has any bearing on the improvements.

Clearly to stop you from floating away on a cloud , enthralled my the music delivered by your new E17......;)

Ash, if Martin has the tools for the job it would be interesting to know what the output impedance of the E7 is.

Ashley James wrote:

£69 USB DAC and headphone amp that also gets a digital output from an iPhone or iPad.

Very nicely made, presented and packed, sounds appreciably better than the little combined DAC and Class D amps in computers and PMPs, probably about as good as you get and just about loud enough for 250 Ohm Beyer DT 880s. If you're a serious headphone listener then one of these is well worth owning and far better than Graham Slee type devices in the opinion of the Grindrod.

I'm intrigued to see the evidence on why this is better than the Graham Slee equivalent (Bitzie)? I'm intrigued. Has Martin heard a Slee or seen the specifications on it? I could not see much published on their web site when I looked.

Graham Slee seems to be a very successful BRITISH company so they must be doing something right I would have thought.

I still think Sennheiser HD25's driven direct from an iPod Touch take some beating smile

Cheers

Phil

I shouldn't have mentioned this, but out of interest and because he was anxious to try HD800s and DT1s, Martin studied the Graham Slee designs carefully, so he's the best person to ask when you visit.

I think that, as with everything audio, suitable headphone amps are easily concocted using standard, readily available parts, Mart did one for me that measured -130dB and Graham Slee's I believe was -75dB and slightly worse than an iPhone.

Thanks for the clarification Ash.

I have liked my Slee stuff but admit to finding it a bit pricey!

Cheers

Phil

Last edited by Phil Bishop (2013-02-15 20:48:04)

I use a Fireface 400 as a headphone amp.  It's software configurable to be anything you want.

http://www.rme-audio.de/images/products/products_fireface_400_6b.jpg

JC