Topic: Setting up hotmail in Mac mail under Mountain Lion using MS Exchange

Hi folks,

I know this isn't really the right place to be asking such a specific Mac type question, but I'd thought I'd rather give it a go here before joining a specific Mac forum.

Put simply I have my hotmail account set-up via MS Exchange server on both my iPhone and iPad.  Having just upgraded my macbook pro to OSX Mountain Lion and seeing the 'MS Exchange' option under the 'mail, contacts & calendars' section of the settings pane, I thought I could do the same thing on my Mac now too... I want to do this (rather sticking with pop server) so that my mails are synchronised across all my devices and so that I have access to all my online hotmail folders on my Mac.

So I configured it, and used the same server (snt-m.hotmail.com) as on my iPhone and iPad. Didn't work, just reported connection failed in Mail.  Under the account settings in Mail under Preferences, there are more configuration fields than there were under ''mail, contacts & calendars' under 'Settings', including both 'internal server' and 'external server' - I've tried various permutations of completing these with the server above, but to no avail....

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers
Dan

Technics SL-1210MK2/Ortofon 2M Red/Cambridge Audio Azur 651P | Sonos ZP90 >
Apple TV | Sky HD > Oppo BDP-105 >
Avi ADM40 + 3* DM5
Panasonic TX-P50G10

Re: Setting up hotmail in Mac mail under Mountain Lion using MS Exchange

dt79 wrote:

Put simply I have my hotmail account set-up via MS Exchange server on both my iPhone and iPad.

What does this mean?

dt79 wrote:

So I configured it, and used the same server (snt-m.hotmail.com) as on my iPhone and iPad.

My take is that this 'm' stands for mobile, and is not meant to be used in the OS X Mail app. I know that iOS is able to talk with Hotmail via a protocol called 'Exchange ActiveSync', but I'm not aware of OS X support for this.

Are you sure what you want is possible at all?

The very best thing you can do for the whole world is to make the most of yourself. ― Wallace D. Wattles

Hi Rednaxela, thanks for replying - what I meant by 'via MS exchange server' was simply, but less accurately, as you put it 'talking to hotmail via a protocol called 'exchange activesync'.  I guess I'm not 100% sure that what I want is possible, but everything indicates that it is - Under Mail, contacts & calendars in Settings, among the list of account types that you can now set-up is 'microsoft exchange' - it's the very same list and the very same MS Exchange icon as on my iOS devices, and if you select that, then I'm pretty sure the set-up process is identical to the set-up process on iOS devices too. Everything on the Mac seems the same as on the iOS now, except the part where it doesn't work...

Thanks
Dan

Avi ADM40 + 3* DM5
Panasonic TX-P50G10

Dan,

THink that the problem is just the same as it was with lion - Linking to Hotmail properly needs ActiveSync and Microsoft will only license this for mobile devices. This means that you can link to a hotmail account in osx (using the standard mail app or outlook) but you can't see any sub folders which you might have created in hotmail. Linking to an exchange server works - that doesn't seem to need ActiveSync.

This problem is why I switched to gmail which works fine with osx mail apps. Sorry I can't suggest a solution - searched the web for one before I packed in hotmail. Found one app that said it would do what was needed but it didn't work (and others had similar experiences).

Mike

Mike
Mac Mini or Technics SL1200/SME309/AT33EV -> ADM40
Airport Express -> ADM9.1T
'You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.' Jon Kabat-Zinn

Thanks Mike - I was afraid the answer would be something like that!  It doesn't make a lot of sense to me - what difference does it make to Microsoft what sort of device people are using - it's not even the ability to integrate emails with another mail client we're talking about, it's just the level of convenience and functionality of active-sync versus pop server.

Thanks
Dan

Avi ADM40 + 3* DM5
Panasonic TX-P50G10

Totally agree Dan. I'm on Hotmail too and it runs my Mail app completely useless with its prehistoric POP-only support. Gmail works much better in this respect because they offer the industry standard IMAP. For what I do with Hotmail, IMAP would be perfectly adequate and I think this is the case for many people.

The very best thing you can do for the whole world is to make the most of yourself. ― Wallace D. Wattles

Yep totally agreed.  Unfortunately I don't think changing my email to google is an option, too many people and companies have it, and it's the user ID for too many websites, it's just not worth it.

Avi ADM40 + 3* DM5
Panasonic TX-P50G10

You can set Gmail to pickup your hotmail-mails. Remember to delete or rules in Hotmail because only the Inbox-folder will be forwarded.

I know it better than you, I'm just not sure...
This signature is for sale, please send me a PM! tongue

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/10/32333 … t-comments

We've got a similar problem with my girlfriend's work email. The exchange set up works on the iPhone, but not on the mac. We even bought office for mac 11 to get outlook, assuming that would fix it, but it is just the same. It's something to do with the right options not being installed on the server. We might be able to get ours changed, but you'll not get hotmail to do it!